Bone Broth: One Of The Most Nutritionally Dense Foods
What is so amazing about bone broth?
Bone broth happens to be, by far, one of my favorite dietary supplements.
When bones (from a cow, chicken, turkey, etc.) are cooked in water, a number of health boosting vitamins and minerals are released into the broth or “stock,” making bone broth one of the healthiest, most nutrient-dense, healing foods available.
The history of bone broth dates all the way back to the 17th century and has been recognized for its medicinal properties ever since. That’s why many Americans associate our infamous chicken noodle soup (a popular comfort food) with soothing colds and making them feel better. The broth contains incredible immune-boosting proprieties, but the health benefits don’t end there.
9 Benefits of Bone Broth
1. It heals leaky gut. The gelatin and collagen found in bone broth helps heal the lining of the intestines. Over 80 percent of our immune system resides in our gut. A healthy gut is the key to a healthy you.
2. It reduces inflammation. Glucosamine (which occurs naturally in bone broth) is a popular joint healing supplement. Glucosamine stimulates the growth of collagen, helps repair tissue, and decreases pain and inflammation in the joints.
3. It boosts immune function. Gelatin increases red blood cell and hemoglobin count. Hemoglobin carries oxygen into our cells. Gelatin increases the number of white blood cells, which helps us fight infections or disease.
4. It produces gorgeous skin, hair, and nails. Bone broth is loaded with collagen and gelatin. It helps rebuild tissues that have been lost, keeping your skin, nails, and hair beautiful, healthy, and strong.
5. It reduces cellulite. Consuming collagen-rich bone broth helps to tighten your skin, decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Bonus: it makes you look much younger too!
6. It helps you overcome food intolerances. Food intolerances are caused by undigested food particles seeping through the holes in the intestinal lining and into the blood stream where the immune system is triggered. Bone broth heals the lining of the gut, which stops any food particles from entering the blood stream. Once the gut is healed, foods that caused problems in the past can often be re-introduced into the diet.
7. It is one of the best sources of minerals. The modern-day diet lacks vitamins and minerals. Additionally, our foods are extremely depleted in the nutrients they once contained.
8. It calms the mind and helps with sleep. Glycine, an amino acid found in bone broth, has been shown to be very calming to the mind and can improve the quality of your sleep.
9. It helps to remove toxins from the body. The liver needs glycine for proper detoxification.
Bone broth is, by far, one of the healthiest foods you can add to your diet. I highly recommend consuming bone broth a few times each week during the flu season; this will keep your gut healthy and your immune system strong. Also, bone broth is an easy and tasty way to boost your kids’ immune systems and keep them properly nourished.
The Wellness Momma does a great job of explaining how to make bone broth from scratch here. Or, if you’re like me, on the run, I recommend ordering it online from The Brothery.com. Their broth comes from locally-grown, organic produce and free-range, humanely-raised meats and poultry. This already-made broth is convenient and absolutely delicious!