what i eat
What I Choose To Eat:
· Vegetables. Vegetables make up the majority (80 percent) of my diet. I get most of my nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.) from vegetables. I eat a wide variety of dark, leafy greens and colorful vegetables, both cooked and raw. I aim for 7-10 servings per day.
· Fruit. Fruit is full of fiber and powerful antioxidants. I eat fruits low in sugar, like berries and green apples. I aim for 1-2 servings per day.
· Organic meat. Organic is key. Conventional meat is loaded with hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics, which have a massive impact on our health. Grass-fed beef, organic, free-range chicken, organic turkey, and wild-caught salmon make up the bulk of my meat sources. I aim for 2-3 servings of meat and 1-2 servings of salmon per week.
· Beans. Beans are full of protein, fiber, and other gut-healthy nutrients. I soak my beans, as this increases nutrient absorption and makes them more digestible. I eat 2-3 servings of beans per week.
· Some grains. Grains can be tricky and are easy to overeat. I eat mostly soaked organic quinoa and wild rice. I aim for 2-3 servings per week.
· Nuts and seeds. Consume nuts in moderation as they are high in omega-6 (inflammatory oils). Nuts provide a good source of healthy fats (some better than others, depending on how they’re prepared), but they’re easy to overeat. I eat mostly raw, soaked, or sprouted almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and hemp seeds. I aim for 2-3 servings per week.
· Healthy fats. Healthy fats are a staple in any balanced diet. Most of my fats come from organic avocados; coconuts and coconut oil; organic, cold-pressed olive oil; and organic avocado oil. I aim for 3-4 servings of healthy fats per day.
What I Choose Not To Eat:
· Gluten. Gluten isn’t what it used to be. Gluten has been modified and contains more pesticides and chemicals than almost any other crop. It’s one of the most inflammatory foods we eat. It offers zero health benefits and that’s why I choose not to eat gluten.
· Dairy. Dairy is highly processed and full of hormones. Recent studies show that these hormones can lead to diseases like cancer and other metabolic issues. Dairy can be an allergen and is a common cause of food sensitivities. I feel much better without it.
· Sugar. Sugar is the most addictive food on the planet, offers zero health benefits, and runs down the immune system faster than any other food. Eliminating sugar transformed my health, skin, immune system, and life!
· Processed oils and trans fats. Processed oils are found in most processed foods (foods that come in a bag, box, or can). They’re extremely inflammatory and have been linked to cancer, heart disease, and stroke. They serve no benefit; therefore, I’ve outed them, too.
· Processed foods (most foods that come in a bag, box, or can). Processed foods are responsible for most health issues in America, period. Cutting out processed food was a no-brainer for me.